General Eligibility Information
ELIGIBILITY DATES FOR 2017-2018:
ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: The student must pass all classes (minimum of 5) at the end of each grading period (semester grades are used at end of the 2nd and 4th 9-week period). Students must be enrolled in 5 classes. Exceptions are available for a senior on-line to graduate. Seniors must be enrolled in a minimum of 4 classes. Contact the athletic office for clarification.
CODE OF CONDUCT: Participation in athletics in Mesa Public Schools is regarded as a privilege. With this privilege, student athletes are expected to adhere to a high standard of behavior. All student athletes shall abide by a code of ethics that will earn them the honor and respect that participation and competition in athletics affords. Click here for Athletic Code of Conduct Form.
ATTENDANCE BOUNDARIES: The student-athlete must live within the school attendance area. If the student-athlete does not live in the attendance area, they must have an approved open enrollment form on file and meet additional requirements set forth by the Arizona Interscholastic Association. See the school or district athletic director for further information.
CHARTER SCHOOLS: Charter school students are not eligible to participate in athletics for any other school. They are only eligible at the school they attend. If the sport is not offered at their school, they are still not eligible to participate at any other school. This is an Arizona Interscholastic Association Bylaw.
HOME SCHOOLED: Home schooled students must be registered with the State Department of Education. If registered, home schooled students are eligible in the school attendance zone in which they reside. Home schooled students must meet all other conditions of athletic eligibility including academic requirements.
AGE LIMIT: If a student becomes 19 years of age after September 1st, they are eligible to compete for the remainder of the school year. A student athlete is only eligible for eight semesters from the time of enrollment in the 9th grade. The 7th and 8th semesters must be consecutive.
INSURANCE INFORMATION: Optional insurance information can be found here.
Register My Athlete streamlines the process of registering students for participation in high school athletics.
Instructions For Parents
1. Find Your School: Click Here to access the webpage.
3. Add a new athlete: The next step is to add an athlete. You can do so by clicking the “My Athletes” tab on the left-hand side of the page or by clicking “Add Athlete” underneath the “My Athletes” tab. This only needs to be done once during your athlete's entire career at a school. The information entered here will carry over from year to year. This information includes your athlete's contact information and medical information.
4. The athlete's profile: After you've created your athlete you will be brought to their Profile page. This page is a summary of their info and involvement.
5. Register for a sport: Click “+ Register For A Sport” to begin registration, you will be asked to choose which sport your athlete is registering for.
6. Your registration checklist: This page shows the status of your athlete's registration. You will be asked to complete several steps to complete registration including agreeing to documents, and completing the physical.
7. Physicals: Physical documents should be completed by the parents and medical professionals. Parents have the ability to upload these physical documents to the system. Uploaded documents will need to be verified by school administration prior to be accepted as complete. If a document upload is rejected for any reason, the parent will receive an email with the rejection reason. After the error has been corrected, parents will be able to re-upload the document for verification.
8. Complete registration: Your registration is complete once all items on the checklist have been completed.
9. After registration: After registration is complete, you can login at any time to view the Status of your athlete and their participation on the team.
Additional Athletes? Under the same account, repeat steps 3 - 9 to register additional athletes.
Future Seasons & Years? Once your athlete has been added to your account, you only need to follow steps 5 - 8 to register them for another sport.
In order for a student to be eligible for interscholastic athletics, the student-athlete must have the following on file with the athletic office at their school: